The Joy of Giving

As most of you know, I’ve published about 20 how-to books on the topics of cooking, interior decorating, wedding and party planning, and self-publishing, most of which are on Amazon.com. The thing about having your life’s work floating around out there in Cyberspace, is that you run across the most interesting people—or they manage to find you.
 
That’s just what happened recently when I received an e-mail from Rachel Snell in Blaina, South Wales, in the UK. She wrote: 
 
“I am a volunteer librarian mum who is trying to set up a library in an infants/junior school in Blaina, South Wales. We are located in a very deprived area where many children have never been to a library or felt the joy of reading a lovely book. We are trying to inspire these children but have very little resources to do so. I am enquiring as to whether you are able to help in any way as I saw your wonderful children’s cookery book on the internet and it looks fantastic. Any help at all would make a massive difference in making this project a success.”

 
Since I no longer fill book orders, I had very few copies of my books still left at home, but I responded immediately that I would gather up the ones I had on hand and send them her way. As a writer, I’m a big fan of books, and getting them into the hands of children is high on my priority list. 
 
Apparently, a lot of other people felt the need to respond to her call, as well. So far, the donations they have received include nearly 1800 books, several magazine and newspaper subscriptions, three large bean bags, an alphabet rug, chalk boards, colorful wall stickers, and a local company has offered to make all new furniture for them, including an audio/listening corner. How amazing is that?
 
I was fortunate to be able to spend most of my life as a volunteer, realizing at an early age, that giving back to my community pays huge dividends in joy. Rachel is a woman after my own heart. As a mother of three boys, Thomas (7), James (5), and Henry (2), her days are filled with similar activities as a volunteer for her children’s school, library, sports activities, and more, in addition to her regular “mom” duties.  
 
I  was thrilled when she sent me the photo above left of her son, Thomas, and the one at right, showing two of her sons, James on the left, and Henry, with two girlfriends, Esme and Leah, lounging on the bean bags, all reading a few of the books I sent them. It filled my heart with joy! 
 
Thank you, Rachel, for letting me share in the joy of giving!