Painting with a Twist


When my former Borondo Pines next-door neighbor, Susan Curnutt, sent me a text message, asking, “Have you ever heard of Painting with a Twist?” I couldn’t believe the coincidence. 
 
I had made an appointment at the painting studio in Friendswood just a few days before, but had to cancel it because of a minor medical emergency that sent me to the ER at St. John Hospital (my home away from home). 
 
I texted her back immediately! “Yes! Let’s go!”  
 
Ever since I could hold a pencil, I’ve loved drawing. As time went on, I added painting lessons in oil, watercolor, and acrylics, and other art classes in a variety of mediums. I inherited this crafty streak from my maternal grandmother, Annabelle O’Daniel, who also taught me how to sew and crochet. 
 
When I began the last leg of my cancer journey, and started working on my third bucket list, I felt the need to paint again. And that’s how I discovered these painting studios called “Painting with a Twist”. 
 
A national chain, with locations in many cities around the country, I checked out the facility in Friendswood. Their website states: “It's a great social outing for all...no painting experience is necessary...we do it step by step and you'll leave with a beautiful masterpiece for your home or office....it's a great alternative to movie night or going out to eat! Bring your own beverages and snacks and we do the rest!” 
 
What’s not to like about that? We signed up for a class just a few days later. 
 
The photo above shows each of us channeling our inner Monet, creating our own personal version of the “masterpiece du jour”. 
 
Here we are, at right, holding our finished paintings. 
 
Will I hang mine in a prominent spot at my home? You’ll just need to stop by and see for yourself. 
 
But more painting adventures are definitely in my future! As you can see in the photo, the walls of the painting studio were lined with hundreds of possibilities. 
 

A few months later, Susan and I returned to try our hand at another masterpiece. Check out our cheery sunflowers at left. We had a great time painting, laughing and exploring our creativity! 
 


Thanks, Susan, for a fun day, overflowing with inspiration!