Monkeys and Masks and Alligators! Oh, My!

I’ve previously mentioned my writers’ critique buddies, Marilyn (Chica) Zapata and Dawn Storey, on this blog (Post: It’s the Little Things That Count). Both of these women have added an immeasurable amount of joy to my life over the past six years. 
 
But now, it’s time for Chica to realize her lifelong dream of building a home in San Miguel de Allende (an artists’ community in central Mexico). She and her husband, Art, have spent the last 40 years traveling around the world, visiting more than 50 countries. 
 
Dawn and I had the pleasure of hearing about her amazing travel adventures while offering our editing suggestions for the stories in the four volumes of books she self-published, titled: Around the World in Forty Years. I designed her book covers and helped get the books printed. 
 
Chica personifies the word “eclectic”, as a talented artist in a wide range of mediums (Check out her blog to see some of her work: http://www.marilynzapata.blogspot.com/.), and a collector of, well, ALL THINGS!!! So when she told us she was having the “Mother of All Garage Sales” in preparation for her move, Dawn and I took her seriously and circled the date on our calendars. We knew Chica’s stash would prove to be GOLD! 
 
She is an avid “garage-saler” herself, partly for the purpose of stockpiling trinkets to give to the underprivileged school children she visited on most of her foreign travels. She invited me to ride along on her last garage sale outing in the area when she learned that I planned to write a blog about my cancer journey and wanted to find an unusual item to photograph for a post. “Maybe a stuffed alligator,” I mused. Unfortunately, the Garage Sale Gods were not shining down upon us that day—the pickings were slim. 



Left to Right: Marilyn (Chica) Zapata, Me, and Dawn Storey
But, I knew I could count on Chica’s cache to live up to my expectations. Even though Dawn and I arrived late in the day to attend the MOA Garage Sale at the Zapata’s house, the loot did not disappoint. And, low and behold, she had tucked away a special surprise just for me—A STUFFED ALLIGATOR!!! Thank you, Chica!!
(I think???)
 
This woman is a joy-filled treasure that Dawn and I will never forget. Fortunately, she plans to live in the area while building her home in Mexico, so we won’t be losing her anytime in the near future. We love you, Chica!! 

Treasure your friends!!
They are among your most valuable possessions!