Margaritaville

My oncologist, who has followed me throughout my cancer journey, starting in 2007 when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, is Dr. Amy Hassan at M. D. Anderson in the Bay Area. She is the gatekeeper of “all things medical” where my oncology health is concerned. 
 
Now that I’m on my last leg of this journey, and receiving a couple of “out of the ordinary” treatments (estrogen blockers and IV osteoporosis infusions), which call for more rules and regulations than I’m accustomed to following, I was surprised to learn that the guidelines for both medications called for “no alcohol consumption”. WHAT???? 
 
My gatekeeper and I needed to have a chat!!! I don’t drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis—I don’t care for the taste of beer, and wine just gives me a headache! But I do, on occasion enjoy a frozen margarita—especially with Mexican food. YUM! 
 
So, after a lively discussion with my medical protector, she handed down the following decree: When the moon is in the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then I am allowed one third of a 10-ounce frozen margarita (no salt), but only if this phenomenon occurs on a Tuesday.
 
Margarita buddies (L-R): Me, Carolyn Gandara, Rosemary Sharp
 

Three Cheers for

Dr. Hassan!!!




Marilyn Zapata
When my longtime friend and fellow writers' critique group member, Marilyn (Chica) Zapata (see the posts: "It's the Little Things That Count" and "Monkeys, Masks and Alligators"), learned about my fondness for frozen margaritas, she shared the following simple recipe (no need for a blender) so I could enjoy my favorite beverage at home when I don't have a designated driver. It seems that I get a tad tipsy after just a few sips!

Frozen Margaritas (No Blender Required)

4-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups tequila
1 (12-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
1/2 cup triple sec

Mix all ingredients in a freezer-proof container with a lid. Stir. Cover and freeze until it reaches a slush-like consistency (about 24 hours). Pour into glasses and ENJOY!

Bless You, Chica! YUM!