I'm Flying!!!

 
L-R: Bo Hunter, Martha Keyes, Me, Delton Keyes (Patient)
My good friend, Bo Hunter, is an Angel Pilot who volunteers his services to fly patients from around the country to the Pearland Airport so they can be transported to the Medical Center in Houston (See the post on this blog: Spread Your Wings and Fly). When he asked me to become a Ground Angel (www.HoustonGroundAngels.org), a volunteer who transports the patients he flies into Pearland to the Medical Center, I signed up immediately.
 
But my next thought was, “I want to fly, too!”  So I e-mailed Bo and asked how long it would take to get my pilot’s license. 
 
Bless his heart! He didn’t bat an eyelash. His response was, “Well, here’s what you do.” 
 
He suggested that I apply for Light Sport Aircraft training because it takes half the time to get a license (20 hours of flying time instead of 40).  You are restricted to flying a small, two-seater plane, only during the day, and only in good weather. NO PROBLEM!!! 
 
And that’s how I found out about The Little Eagles Flight School, owned and operated by Andy Foster. I contacted him immediately, and signed up for a test run just to see if I was up for the challenge. 
 
NO PROBLEM!!! The flying lesson was super fun!!!  And Andy is an excellent instructor. 
 
My friend and former neighbor, Carolyn Gandara, accompanied me to my first lesson as the official photographer for my cancer journey blog and took these great photos. 
 


Here I am, all buckled up and ready to go, inside the Light Sport Aircraft, waiting for takeoff. 
 

This is me, wearing my official pilot's headset,  with my instructor, Andy Foster, owner of Little Eagles Flight School in Pearland.
 
If you’d like to try flying one of these little airplanes, click on the link above and contact Andy. 
 
 
The photo at left shows our plane high up in the clouds!!
 
It was a beautiful, sunny day, and Andy actually let me control the stick for a while. 
 
 
 


 
 
Here we are, back safe on the ground, but I was still “flying” long afterwards!!! 
 
What a rush! I loved it and plan to go back for more lessons! 
 
Thanks Andy and Carolyn for a wonderful day!!!
 
More adventures to come!
 
If you have any suggestions for fun activities or travel destinations for my Cancer Journey Bucket List, please send them to: gloria@gloriahanderlyons.com