The Amazing Race

When my flight instructor, Andy Foster, notified me that he was temporarily suspending operations at his flight school, I was in a tail spin about how to keep flying. My Angel Pilot friend, Bo Hunter, recommended that I join the Bay Area Aero Club at Pearland Regional Airport so I would have access to several other instructors. I submitted my application and prepared for the wait, but, in the meantime, Andy came to my rescue. He contacted a fellow pilot, Linda Street-Ely, who not only flies, but races airplanes, and asked if I might be able to pick up some right-seat (passenger) flying time with her.
 
Linda contacted me immediately and invited me to fly with her and husband, Mike Ely, also a pilot, to a Sport Air Racing League event, the Rocket 100 Race in Taylor, TX. It was the last race of the season and we needed to leave in two days. I jumped at the chance, and we left Ellington AFB Friday evening in their Grumman Cheetah, a four-seat aircraft.
 
Here we are in the photo at left (Mike, me and Linda). In addition to flying, they both work in the aircraft industry—Linda for a company that programs electronic flight charts and compiles lists of various fixed-base operator businesses at airports across the country, and Mike as a flight instructor for numerous types of certifications.
 
There were twenty planes entered in the race at the Taylor Airport, with pilots from all over the country and one from Canada. Before the race began, Bruce Hammer, a pilot from Louisiana, offered to let me fly with him in his Glassair 1, a two-seat plane, which was ranked third in speed for the planes flying that day. I thanked him profusely and “jumped ship” with the Ely’s blessing.
 
Bruce is a helicopter pilot who works for a large corporation, transporting passengers out to the oil rigs off the coast of Louisiana. He built his airplane from a kit. It was a 3,000-hour labor of love, and well worth the effort, as you can see in the photo.
 


 
Here we are at left ready to start the race.
All twenty planes lined up on the runway, from fastest to slowest, launching one at a time every thirty seconds. The course was a triangular shape and 140 miles long. Bruce took the photo below from our plane as we waited our turn to take off.
 
 
 

This amazing photo, taken by Jo Hunter, the official photographer for the Racing League, shows us lifting off the runway. You can see more aviation photos at her website: Futurshox.net

Shortly after we made the first turn in the race, Bruce passed the controls to me. It was both a wonderful gift and an amazing surprise. I flew most of the race under his careful watch. Our average speed hovered around 260 mph with a max of 274 mph. We came in first in our class and Bruce topped off our flight with a Victory Roll! It was the most incredible day of my life!
 
That evening during the awards ceremony, we accepted his trophy together. (another great photo from Jo Hunter, the League’s official photographer). I received a mini-trophy, which was a handmade wooden pylon, a glass mug commemorating the “2013 Rocket 100 Race”, and an inspirational book about flying.
 
I can’t thank Linda and Mike Ely, Bruce Hammer, Jo Hunter, and all my new friends in the Sport Air Racing League enough for their kindness and generosity, and for giving me the opportunity to participate in this AMAZING RACE.
 
It was the “Mother of All My Bucket List Adventures” and the thrill of a lifetime!

Another great photo by Jo Hunter at Futurshox.net
 
 More flying (and hopefully racing) to come!