Dancing the Night Away!

As many of you know, taking ballroom dancing lessons at the Fred Astaire Studio in Webster is one of my new passions (See the post: “Birds and Planes and the Cha-Cha-Cha”). It ranks right up there at the top of my bucket list for fun activities. But the weekend of September 13 blew the top off the fun meter scale!
 
 
I danced five dances Friday night in the team match exhibition with my instructor, Craig Elsbury. Here we are at left, out on the gleaming wooden dance floor at the San Luis Resort in Galveston. You can tell by the photo, Craig is a natural-born performer. Wherever he goes, the party follows—a man after my own heart!
 
  

On Saturday, I enjoyed watching many of my fellow students (much more advanced than I) competing in the dance competitions. During the afternoon, we all donned our handmade “Minion” tee shirts (Minions are those little yellow characters from the movie, Despicable Me) and performed “The Minion Mambo” as a group. Shown in the photo (L-R) are Johnny and Sue Alexander, Dwayne and Janet Cox, Linda and Roger Daniel, Liz Rios, Angela Settle, Karen Latham, Me, Marianne Tucker, and Tom Young. 
 
 
Later that evening we attended the Masquerade Ball. Shown in the photo, hiding behind their masks are: (left to right) Sue Alexander, Marianne Tucker, Craig Elsbury, Liz Rios, Mary Corbin, me, Karen Latham, and Janet Cox. We danced the night away in the beautiful ballroom at the San Luis Resort.

I also learned the Wobble Line Dance. What fun!!! Thank you, Olga!

We ate a fabulous dinner and watched performances by the most amazing professional dancers I could ever have imagined. “Dancing with the Stars” (my most favorite TV show) can’t begin to compare with watching these performances in person.
 
I had a wonderful time, and awoke Sunday morning to one of the most glorious sunrises I’ve ever seen. I captured the scene from my hotel room on the twelfth floor shortly before 7:00AM.
 
I can’t thank all the members of my new “Fred Astaire Family” enough for their kind hearts and fun-loving spirits. It was an amazing weekend that I will never forget!
 
More dancing to come!!!