Right On Target!

In 2011, I attended the Citizens Police Academy class in La Marque, where I lived at that time. This was a super fun experience, and I had the chance to meet many of the police officers who protected our city. The students learned about the unusual scenarios these law enforcement officials face each day. And I’m not just talking about criminals, but law-abiding citizens in compromising situations—these brave men and women wear many hats! 
 
We were also allowed to drive a patrol car (in the parking lot at City Hall), stop pretend traffic violators, use the radio to check for warrants, and deal with whatever situation we encountered after approaching the vehicle (the Lieutenant in charge of the class was quite creative in planning our tasks). If you have one of these classes in the city where you live, I hope you will apply. 
 
Unfortunately, I missed the target-shooting part of the class, so I scheduled a private lesson at an indoor gun range, called The Arms Room. It was so much fun I couldn’t wait to return. That's why I added this activity to my Cancer Journey “Bucket List”. 
 
First, I took the “Learn to Shoot and Gun Safety Class” with instructor, Brian Mobley, using a .22 caliber pistol to shoot about 30 holes in the target. 
 
Next, I decided to get my own .22 pistol rather than rent one each time I went to the range. 
 
Since my new gun was slightly different from the one I used in class, I called Brian and scheduled another private lesson. 
 
 
 
 Here I am taking aim, with my official shooting stance and grip, under Brian’s watchful eye. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That’s Brian and me in the photo, wearing our hearing protection.
 
It gets pretty noisy in there! 

 
 
 


 
  

As you can see by my target at left, Brian is an excellent instructor!

I just love shooting at those targets! 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks Brian for a fun day at the range!!