Flying First Class!

After losing access to my first flying instructor, I joined the Bay Area Aero Club at Pearland Airport on the suggestion of my Angel Pilot buddy, Bo Hunter. The club has several planes available to members, as well as a long list of instructors. But Bo highly recommended Jeff Kling, with Kling Aviation, and I have thanked him several times for this introduction, as it has opened up more than the usual hangar doors for me. 


 Not only is Jeff an excellent instructor, he knows just how hard to push to get me out of my comfort zone, but not enough to scare the bejeezus out of me—it’s a fine line, and he is a master. In addition to the choice of planes at the club, Jeff owns a Cessna 150 (shown at right), also stored at Pearland Airport, so it’s the one we usually use for my lessons.
 
After many years of flying and instructing others how to fly, Jeff has accumulated many friends in the aviation arena, including quite a few who own their own airplanes—the big, the small, the build-it-yourself-from-a-kit, the old, and…WAIT FOR IT!!! The brand spanking NEW!!
 
He surprised me during my last lesson with the chance to ride in a brand new Cessna 182 (a four-seat plane)! An acquaintance had purchased the plane, but planned a vacation out of state with his family for several months and needed someone to fly it occasionally to keep the engine in tip top shape. Lucky Jeff!!!
 
Here I am standing in front of this beautiful aircraft! 

It was a slightly blustery January day.
 
 
 
 
 

 
The photo at right shows Jeff sitting in the cockpit, going over the list for our pre-flight check.
 
 
 
 


As you can tell by the photo at left, this plane has every kind of high-tech navigation instrument you can imagine.
 
 
 

We headed out that afternoon for a bird’s-eye view of the Clear Lake and La Porte area, while Jeff pointed out a few of the aircraft’s modern features and demonstrated how to use the auto-pilot controls.
 
 
 I felt like a celebrity being transported in high-tech aviation style!  Lucky me!!!
 
 
We returned the plane safely to its hangar, and at the push of a button, closed the convenient automated door.
 
It was a luxurious day of flying that I will never forget.
 
 
 
Thank you, Jeff, for an amazing surprise!