Spa Daze

When I asked my friends and family to submit suggestions to my cancer journey bucket list for fun activities, one of my buddies suggested that I spend a few hours at a day spa. 

“That’s a good idea,” I replied, “I’ve never been to one of those.” 

"What?” she asked. “You mean you’ve never had a massage?”

Nope,” I said.

“But surely you’ve had a pedicure before?” she queried, somewhat alarmed.

“Never,” I replied.

Her jaw dropped slightly in disbelief, “A manicure?”

I was afraid to respond in the negative to this question. “I never cared much for all that ‘girlie’ stuff,” I said. 

“Didn’t you play dress-up when you were a little girl? Or have tea parties with your dollies?”

“Actually,” I confessed, “what I really wanted was a B-B gun, a chess set, and lots of books.”

“Oh, honey,” she said, sadly, “You have been deprived!”

And that’s how I wound up, a few days later, at the Trang-quil Spa Retreat in League City.

I was a bit skeptical at first. The spa package I purchased included the works, a facial, body massage, pedicure and manicure, and cost just a bit less than that shotgun I had my eye on at the sporting goods store. After all, blasting holes in a target with a shotgun is pretty good stress relief.

But it didn’t take the ladies at the spa very long to convince me that I had made the right choice.

They wisely scheduled the massage first on my agenda. I’ve never felt so relaxed, and thank goodness I didn’t need to drive home immediately afterwards because the staff would have needed to cart me out to my car. I have no idea how I would have explained my euphoric state had I been stopped on my way home by one of League City’s finest, for driving at a snail’s pace.

 
Next up was the facial. Fortunately, no one will recognize that scary creature at left. What the heck was I thinking when I let them take that photo? But the end result was another relaxing massage and, believe it or not, glowing skin underneath that white mask.


Last on the list were the pedicure and manicure, with skin-softening scrubs, buffing, painting and more massaging. Ahhh!

I spent nearly five blissful hours there with the gracious staff at the Trang-quil Spa Retreat, and I’ve never been so pampered in my life! 


Thank you ladies, for a wonderfully relaxing day!

My day at the spa, getting a pedicure, reminded me of an essay I wrote several years ago titled, "The Feet Go Forward!" It is about keeping a positive attitude and maintaining a steady course when life throws obstacles in our way, and was published in the November 2006 issue of Change Magazine. You can read the story on this blog post: The Feet Go Forward!