Spread Your Wings and Fly!

Friends are one of life’s most precious gifts, and friends who change your life are a rare treasure. I was lucky enough to have, not one, but two of those in my life, during my cancer journey. 
 
In 2011, just three months after I learned my breast cancer had returned for the second time, my husband was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma, and passed away five months later. Still reeling from the shock of his death, and feeling completely lost about the direction of my future, God sent someone to my rescue. 
 
Police Chief Randall Aragon
For two years, I had been writing a newsletter for my neighborhood, which included articles about the police and fire departments, as well as other city services. After my husband passed away, the Chief of Police in our town, Randall Aragon, called to ask if I would write a newsletter for all the Community Watch Groups in the city. Naturally, I was a bit apprehensive about this proposition. Writing a newsletter for the entire city? I’d never attempted such an important project. But I knew the Chief, from previous interviews for articles in the neighborhood newsletter, and considered him to be a wise man. If he had enough confidence in my abilities to get the job done, then it must be true, even though I didn’t feel it myself. 
 
Little did I know at the time, this decision would change my life. He gave me a sense of purpose when I desperately needed one. Interviewing the watch group volunteers and police officers forced me out of the house and into the surrounding community, where I met many amazing people. Chief Aragon was extremely proud of our newsletter and never missed an opportunity to compliment me on my work. He encouraged my creativity—never once saying no to my sometimes farfetched ideas for articles. 
 
Bo Hunter
Each interview revealed new stories to research and more people to see—which led me to the second friend who offered life-changing inspiration. His name is Bo Hunter, the Chairman of his Watch Group area, and community volunteer extraordinaire!  Not only is he a private airplane pilot who volunteers his services to fly patients to hospitals for treatment, he has also worked for the Salvation Army, Red Cross, six different school districts, the local Council on Drugs and Alcohol, plus personally mentored high school students to help them find work. 
 
His story about the sacrifices he made before finally achieving his dream of becoming a pilot inspired me to write an article titled, “Lifetime Passion Helps Patients in Need”, which was published in the Pilots for Patients Newsletter. Click on the link above to read it on my Author Website. 
 
After Bo shared the photo at right of his first skydiving jump, I added the caption, “Spread Your Wings and Fly!”, and hung it on the wall in my office as a daily reminder to be brave, be persistent and follow my passion—just like Bo Hunter!

When he learned recently that my breast cancer had metastasized to my bones and I was given a prognosis of about two years, he made it his mission to keep my spirits up, sending me e-mails almost weekly with funny or inspirational messages and photos. 
 
I can’t thank these men enough for their guidance, confidence, encouragement, inspiration and friendship. Together, they taught me how to spread my wings and fly!