Finding Joy

Since the topic of this blog is “a joyful life”, I thought I should share with you the story I wrote about the first time I realized that giving back to my community pays huge dividends in JOY! 

A Tiny Spark
By Gloria Hander Lyons

 After my son was born, I became a full-time, stay-at-home mom. My activities revolved around his. I was the Cub Scout leader, soccer mom, room mother and all-around volunteer. Being a person who thrives on creativity—drawing, sewing and crafting—these efforts fueled my creative spirit, but my subsequent reward was better than any I could have imagined.
 
When my son entered fourth grade, I volunteered to work at his school library twice a week. The librarian soon discovered my amateur drawing skills and begged me to paint murals of the kids’ favorite book characters on the learning center walls. Since the room was lined with bookshelves, the only paintable surfaces were the soffits surrounding the entire space at the ceiling and one large support pole in the center.
 
Anxious to start the biggest craft project of my life, I began with the most accessible spot, drawing “Jack and the Beanstalk”, with the stalk encircling the ten-foot-high center pole. I’d barely sketched three feet of the leafy vine when a prissy second grader planted her feet in front of me, hands-on-hips. “Does Mrs. Blakely know you’re writing on the walls?” she asked.
 
“Yes,” I assured her. “Mrs. Blakely (the principal) asked me to decorate the library with colorful paintings.”
 
“That’s so cool!” she squealed. “I’m going to paint pictures on my wall, too!”
 
“Uh…you might want to ask your mother first…” I yelled at the fleeting figure. I made a mental note to warn parents about this project’s potential for promoting home graffiti.
 
After completing the drawing on the pole, I moved to an eight-foot ladder to sprinkle my renderings around the two-foot-high strip of wall space that surrounded the room—ten feet off the ground.
 
I climbed up and down that ladder hundreds of times, first to sketch each scene, and then fill in with brightly colored paint. Students and teachers frequently paused to offer encouragement or share their favorite book memories with the lady on top of the ladder. My hope was not only to spark the children’s interest in art, but encourage them to experience the amazing adventures found in books.
 
“I want to be an artist, too,” said a red-haired first-grade boy with a freckled face. He bent his head back at an awkward angle to gaze up at my work. “But I’m scared of high places.”
 
“Maybe you can paint at your desk instead,” I suggested. And your toes won’t fall asleep from standing on the ladder rungs for hours at a time. He smiled back at me, relieved to know he could still be an artist, with his feet planted firmly on the ground.
 
The ladder inched along slowly over the next two years, as I filled the entire space with fun characters from children’s books: Curious George; Big Bad Bruce; Lyle, Lyle Crocodile and many, many more. Each book I depicted became the most requested title of the week.
 
“She was my favorite character,” said a fourth-grade girl, watching wistfully while I drew a scene from Charlotte’s Web. “I cried when she died.”
 
“I cried, too,” I said. “Charlotte was a good friend.” I found myself reliving some of my favorite stories along with the children, and longed to read each book again.
 
The afternoon I put the finishing touches on the final drawing and stored my ladder away for the last time, hundreds of students began filing into the library. The music teacher wheeled in a piano and the librarian motioned me over to the center of the action.
 
She had planned a special ceremony to express their appreciation for my artistic contribution to the school. Mrs. Blakely presented me a huge basket overflowing with thank-you notes from the students. It had been a long, but rewarding journey, sharing scenes of beloved storybook characters that had influenced the lives of teachers and students alike.
 
My heart caught in my throat as I struggled to fight back tears, but lost that battle when the children began to sing “Just One Little Candle”, accompanied by the piano.
 
“It is better to light just one little candle, than to stumble in the dark! Better far that you light just one little candle, all you need's a tiny spark!”
 
I was both surprised and humbled by all this attention. By the time the kids finished their song, the librarian was crying, the teachers were sniffling and the pianist blinked back tears while trying to read the sheet music. It was gratifying to realize that my hard work had fostered such appreciation.
 
Those storybook wall murals had sparked a flame in my heart—a constant reminder that sharing my time and talents with others could reap a lifetime of joy in return.