Back to the Fifties!

I decided to do something special for the monthly writers’ critique meeting with my friends, Dawn Storey and Marilyn (Chica) Zapata, to thank them for their creative efforts and hard work on my Surprise Party.
 
Since one of my most favorite activities is flying, I asked my flying instructor, Jeff Kling, if he could transport the three of us to the Southern Flyer Diner in Brenham, TX. This restaurant is one of many “fly-in” locations where pilots can park their airplanes out front and walk inside to get a “$100 hamburger” ($5 for the burger and $95 for the airplane fuel).
 
Dawn and Chica were thrilled with the idea since neither one had ever been to a fly-in restaurant before. And since this particular restaurant has a 1950s malt shop theme, complete with a juke box and waitresses wearing poodle skirts, they both thought it might be fun for us to wear outfits from that period.
 
Here we are in front of the plane, waiting to take off from the Pearland Airport, wearing our puffy petticoats (Dawn and me), scarves (Chica and me), and saddle oxford shoes (Chica).
 
 
 
Dawn and Chica rode in the back seat and donned their pilot headsets (a first for both). Chica wore her glamorous winged sunglasses for some extra “bling”.
 
 
 
 
I rode in the front and did my best to keep my billowy dress and petticoat from blocking the airplane controls.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After a short, 40 minute flight over the clouds, we landed safely at the Southern Flyer Diner just in time for lunch. At left, Chica and Dawn chow down on their tasty burgers.
 
 
 
 
 
Later our group paused for a photo op in front of the restaurant jukebox.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
One of the waitresses agreed to pose with us for a total 1950s effect.
 
 
 
 
 
On the way home, Jeff played 50s music to keep the mood going. We tapped our toes to the lively tunes while he flew just below the cloud ceiling to give us a spectacular view of the landscape below.
 
 
It was a wonderful day with great friends, good food, and a super fun trip back to the fifties!
 
Thank you Jeff, Dawn and Chica for sharing the joy!